BELS will make a significant contribution to the development of Turkey serving as an exemplary and respected educational institution nationally and internationally.
BELS is a laboratory school that leads and inspires innovative learning and success through challenging national and international programmes.
In keeping with Atatürk’s principles, BELS:
– develops language abilities, intercultural competence, social responsibility and academic competitiveness,
– nurtures confident, creative and informed decision makers,
– provides leadership opportunities to prepare students to shape the future.
1. To establish BELS as a model for existing and future schools.
2. To achieve national and international success through a tailored curriculum employing differentiation techniques in student-centered classrooms, highly competent staff, academically-oriented students and a high-quality learning environment.
3. To provide the staff and faculty professional development opportunities.
4. To promote global digital citizenship.
5. To develop and maintain a culture of well-being in the school in accordance with the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
6. To undertake community service projects in cooperation with The Ministry of National Education, schools, universities or the stakeholders.
|BELS LEARNER PROFILE
|We nurture our curiosity, developing skills for inquiry and research. We know how to learn independently and with others. We learn with enthusiasm and sustain our love of learning throughout life.
|We develop and use conceptual understanding, exploring knowledge across a range of disciplines. We engage with issues and ideas that have local and global significance.
|We use critical and creative thinking skills to analyze and take responsible action on complex problems. We exercise initiative in making reasoned, ethical decisions.
|We express ourselves confidently and creatively in more than one language and in many ways. We collaborate effectively, listening carefully to the perspectives of other individuals and groups. We are competent in using current technology and integrate these in our learning and everyday life with confidence and integrity.
|We act with integrity and honesty, with a strong sense of fairness and justice, and with respect for the dignity and rights of people everywhere. We take responsibility for our actions and their consequences.
|We critically appreciate our own cultures and personal histories, as well as the values and traditions of others. We seek and evaluate a range of points of view, and we are willing to grow from the experience.
|We show empathy, compassion and respect. We have a commitment to service, and we act to make a positive difference in the lives of others and in the world around us.
|We approach uncertainty with forethought and determination; we work independently and cooperatively to explore new ideas and innovative strategies. We are resourceful and resilient in the face of challenges and change. We keep an optimistic perspective of view.
|We understand the importance of balancing different aspects of our lives intellectual, physical, and emotional to achieve well-being for ourselves and others. We recognize our interdependence with other people and with the world in which we live.
|We thoughtfully consider the world and our own ideas and experience. We work to understand our strengths and weaknesses in order to support our learning and personal development.
|We are confident, secure in our knowledge, unwilling to take things for granted and ready to take intellectual risks. We are keen to explore and evaluate ideas and arguments in a structured, critical and analytical way. We are able to communicate and defend views and opinions as well as respect those of others.
|We welcome new challenges and meet them resourcefully, creatively and imaginatively. We are capable of applying our knowledge and understanding to solve new and unfamiliar problems. We can adapt flexibly to new situations requiring new ways of thinking.
|We strive for excellence by always setting high expectations for our own learning.
International Baccalaureate 2013— www.ibo.org
Cambridge Learner Attributes 2011— www.cambrigeinternational.org
“Bilkent Erzurum was founded as an exemplary educational institution not only in Turkey but also in the world.”
Prof. İhsan Doğramacı