The Turkish Language & Literature department provides students with different courses depending at each grade on international and national curricula. These courses consist of Turkish Literature, Turkish Language for 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th graders and “Written Expression” and “Analysis of Text” for Prep classes. As international curricula IGSCE has been implemented for 9th and 10th graders, and IB DP has been implemented for 11th and 12th grades.
During the prep year, the “Written expressions” and “Analysis of Text” courses aim to improve students’ oral and writing skills for IGCSE, IB DP and the Turkish National Curricula.
The aim of Turkish Literature lessons is to increase students’ cultural awareness and to develop students’ literary analysis. For this aim, literature courses are based on literary analysis and commentary techniques. On the other hand, studying different works, which are selected from the world literature list, expose students to other cultures and help them to make a connection between their culture and the world.
The aim of Turkish Language lessons is to raise the students’ awareness of their first language skills such as syntax and meaning. To reach this aim, our courses are prepared keeping different levels in mind.
“Written Expression” and “Analysis of Texts” courses that are applied in Prep classes consist of Turkish Literature and World literature works. Those works enable students to be familiar with literary analysis and commentary.
By using texts written in argumentative, narrative, descriptive and explanatory expression, we help students learn to write in different genres, which is parallel to the objectives of Turkish National Curricula.
Turkish literature and language courses are given parallel to the IB Literature courses and provide students with opportunities to improve their writing and oral skills and meet the requirements of the IB.
Students develop into
- Citizens who know their duties and responsibilities towards the Republic of Turkey and behave as accordingly.
- They form their own opinions about literature are informed about modern Turkish literature and they recognize the relationship between different genres and works by learning analysis and interpretation of literary works,
- In Turkish language and literature lessons, students’ skills of analysis and interpretation of texts, oral and written expression are developed with works selected from Turkish and World Literature.
- Students reach literary and artistic gratification by studying outstanding works.
- Students develop their ability in oral and written expression.
- In the 10th Grade Turkish Language and Literature Course, in addition to the National Curriculum, some oral and written expression types are taught and IGCSE exam practice is done. The required books and written expression works serve for this purpose. Students are expected to use language accurately and improve themselves in that field.
In the first year of the IB program, students are assessed by comparative commentary of World Literature assignments and oral presentations. Students choose at least two of three novels covered in World Literature and compare and contrast those two texts based on a common theme. This assignment makes up of twenty percent of the total grade. In addition, students deliver presentations on the works to be read. Students are externally assessed by the International Baccalaureate examiners.